The keynote speaker was Mark McCrindle from Australia.
I went to two breakouts:
- I-Pads in Years 3-5
- E-Portfolios and E-Learning
The E-Portfolio and E-Learning was also interesting to see how big it is, the possibilities and a few new ideas. One needs to ensure that they have good support and consider how the school's infrastructure will cope, and how students and parents could access it from home. Check out http://myportfolio.school.nz/ for more information. MyPortfolio has been the MOE 'choice' for schools to use, and is free to all NZ schools til at least the end of 2013.
- Social technology like Facebook and Twitter are a barometer of society, and new apps come along all the time.
- I-Pads - be careful of the apps you choose.... easy to use as a time filler.
- E-Portfolios - lots of thinking that have to go into how it is going to be used and how the school, students, parents as well as teachers will use, manage and access.
- You need time to tinker.
- You need to know what you want to achieve.